What is a DeepL Translator?
DeepL translator is a machine translation tool that uses a deep learning model to translate text from one language to another. Deep learning is a type of artificial intelligence that involves training large neural networks on large datasets to learn patterns and make intelligent decisions. A deep learning model is trained on a large dataset of translated text to translate text from one language to another accurately and fluently.
Free & Open Source DeepL Translators
- OpenNMT – translates text between languages using deep learning techniques.
- Marian – translates text between languages using deep learning techniques.
- DeepLingo – translates text between languages using deep learning and machine learning techniques but it looks abandoned.
- Neural Monkey – translates text between languages using deep learning techniques.
- Apertium – translates text between languages using rule-based and statistical machine translation techniques.
Is DeepL.com better than Google Translate and other open-source translators?
OpenNMT translates various languages and language pairs and produces translations that compete with commercial machine translation services.
Marian and DeepLingo translate many languages and language pairs and often produce high-quality translations. Some open-source machine translation tools that use deep learning techniques have high-quality translations in particular languages and language pairs.
Ultimately, the best machine translation tool for a given task will depend on the specific requirements and needs of the user.
DeepL.com translator disadvantages
- Cost – DeepL is a paid service, and using it may come with a price, depending on the specific pricing plan and the volume of translations you need.
- Language coverage – DeepL currently supports translation between a limited number of languages, so it may not be suitable for translating all language pairs.
- Quality – Although generally considered high, some translations by DeepL may be inaccurate or fluent. Machine translation will always involve some errors, so you must carefully review the translations produced by any machine translation tool to ensure that they are accurate and appropriate for your needs.
- Privacy – DeepL processes the text you submit for translation and may store it in their systems for a while. Suppose you are concerned about the privacy of your text. Consider using a different translation service or an open-source machine translation tool that runs translations on your infrastructure.
- Dependence – Using DeepL for translations may cause reliance on their service and the need to find an alternative if the service becomes unavailable or you stop using it. This can be especially problematic for mission-critical tasks or integrated workflow.
DeepL.com vs. Google Translate
Here are a few potential advantages of using Google Translate, a commercial machine translation service, compared to DeepL.com:
- Cost – Using Google Translate is free, except for any data charges that may apply if you use it on a mobile device.
- Language coverage – Google Translate supports translation between a wide range of languages, so it may be a good option if you need to translate between languages not supported by DeepL.
- Integration – Several Google products, such as Google Search and Chrome, integrate the widely used service Google Translate. This may make it easier and more convenient if you already use other Google services.
- Customization – You can customize the translation model used for your translations on Google Translate by providing your training data or using custom glossaries and rules. This can be useful if you must fine-tune the translations for a specific domain or use case.
DeepL is a high-quality machine translation service and may have advantages over Google Translate regarding translation quality and other features. You should consider both options and compare them to determine the most suitable one.